Thursday, June 12, 2008

You Gets No Love From Me

As I shared a few weeks ago, I make sure to speak to all of the staff in our building. I also make a special point to acknowledge and speak to my elders, as I was raised.

Well, my coworkers often see me speaking to the building staff, usually when we are walking to or from our overpriced, unsatisfying lunch.

Over the course of the past few weeks, I guess my coworkers have been doing the same. (I'd like to think they're taking a cue from me.)

Funny thing is, the same woman from my previous post won't respond back to them.

According to them, when they pass her by - in the hallway or lobby - she doesn't say anything back or acknowledge them.

"I don't think she likes white people."

Could be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not that she doesn't like white people. She doesn't like disingenuous people. Trust me those same people have walked past this woman literally hundreds perhaps even thousands of time and never gave her the common decency of human to fellow human acknowledgement. It's a very hurtful feeling. I've been that only black person in the office at JWT. I have gotten the same and worse reactions from co-workers who worked on different floors of the same agency. I would go so far as to say she thinks they are only speaking to her because they are with you.

Franklin said...

Thanks for the comment.